Tuesday 10 April 2012

Lecture 2 Reflection - NEW NEWS

In our second lecture for JOUR1111 Dr Redman talked about how news has evolved and changed under the category of web iterations 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.  For these web iterations to make sense he clarified exactly what was old media and new media.  Old media is known as heritage/ legacy media, which is newspapers, magazines, radio and television.  New media is categorised into three different web iterations: web 1.0, web 2.0, and web 3.0.  I found it very interesting how these three web iterations have evolved over time to become more specifically targeted to the individual.  For example, web 1.0 is all about the COMPANIES, web 2.0 is about SOCIAL GROUPS, and web 3.0 is about INDIVIDUALS. 

Although I am a daily, maybe even hourly user of Web 2.0, I found Web 3.0 to be the most interesting out of them all, as I notice semantic web every day when I am using the internet.  Dr Redman talked all about meta tags and the internet personalising your every search so certain ads will appear on the web page that are specific to you, based on your previous searches.  On certain websites that I am a constant user of I always notice this specific content delivery.  For example, I have always done ballet, so I am sometimes making ballet related searches on Google, after I have made these searches ballet ads will always appear in the advertising on facebook. 

I think that hyper localisation is a scary thing; it has the potential to be very limiting.  If people are only getting what they want in regards to the news they will become ethnocentric, and will miss out on general knowledge and other important things that are going on throughout the world.  Hyper localisation does not allow the potential for people to broaden their knowledge or interests. 

Dr Redman very cleverly illustrated to us the idea of ENTITLEMENT through the jelly bean exercise.   Will people continue to pay for something they believe they are entitled to have for free?  This is what some online newspapers are currently trying to find out.  Several newspapers are beginning to put their stories behind pay walls.  As a potential future journalist, I really hope that people will decide to pay the subscription, as without these payments journalism is going to suffer dramatically.    

No comments:

Post a Comment